Many organizations mistakenly assume that van driving is no different than driving a personal car, and they expect their employees (or volunteers) to assume van-driving responsibilities without any training. The fact is that most commercial vans are very different than passenger cars. They are bigger, heavier, have larger blind spots, and require longer following and stopping distances. Training drivers to compensate for these differences can help keep them on the road and on the job.
Since the original Coaching The Van Driver® course was introduced in 1991, we have received invaluable feedback from hundreds of instructor training sessions and thousands of actual Coaching sessions. By responding to those involved with The Coaching Series® programs instructors, trainees, safety managers and loss control professionals, we have continued to develop quality training materials. Coaching The Van Driver® 4 is a direct result of this field input. This new program addresses the considerations of passenger and commercial vans.
- Self-Appraisal (Pre-Training Assessment)
- Before You Start ( Pre-Trip Inspection and Vehicle Characteristics Review)
- Essentials Of Safe Driving (Introduction to SCC – Scanning, Cushion of Safety, Communicating)
- Driving Environments (Applying the principles of SCC to driving on open roadways and congested, city-like driving environments)
- Special Considerations – Part One (Operating in rural areas, handling visibility problems, sharing the road with bicyclists, “Move Over Law” )
- Special Considerations – Part Two (Backing, Alcohol/Drugs, Adverse Weather, Rotaries, Distracted Driving)
- Optional Modules:
- Transporting Passengers
- Transporting Cargo
- Optional Final Test
- All new participant Response Book
- New, expanded Instructor’s Guide
- New, twenty question final test.
- All new video presentation featuring various van types.
- Collison reporting guidelines.
- Expanded topics including; driver assistance technologies, traffic circles, distracted driving, bicyclists, the ‘move over law”, alcohol/drugs.
What stays the same:
- Same proven, discussion-based educational approach
- Capitalizes on the highly successful “Coaching” method of training
- Course completion certificate.
- Same easy-to-use training materials:
- Fully scripted Instructor Guide with group learning exercises, discussion diagrams with enhanced content for the instructor.
- Content rich DVD presentations featuring vans and van driver point-of-view perspective.
- Response Book – 32 page, participant booklet with self-appraisal, discussion questions and traffic analyses diagrams.